The United Way Global Corporate Leadership (GCL) program leverages the commitment and caring power of national and global corporations with United Way’s ability to improve lives and create lasting changes in communities across the country. Partnering with United Way provides companies a way to invest strategically in their communities and advance the common good by creating lasting, sustainable changes that lead to better, stronger places to live and work. Click here to see examples of outstanding partnerships. Learn more about our top ten corporate contributors.
United Way Global Corporate Leadership
In partnership with 100 national and global corporations and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 41 countries and territories, the Global Corporate Leadership Program (GCL) provides expert advice and resources to support corporate involvement and increase companies’ capacity to improve lives and strengthen communities around the world. In the U.S., GCL companies have a combined total of eight million employees operating in more than 40,000 locations and contribute more than $1 billion to their communities.
The GCL program manages relationships with companies, providing a strategic, voice for the United Way system and providing opportunities to strengthen corporate philanthropic partnerships in communities.
Typical characteristics of a GCL company
- Partners with United Way in company’s headquarter city
- Invests at least US $1.25 million or 50% of campaigns of US $2.5 million or more in United Way’s community impact work through annual corporate and employee contributions
- Engages with United Way beyond the workplace giving campaign
- Commits to partnering in the U.S. and a minimum of two to three additional countries
- Employs at least 25,000 people around the world
Snapshot of Global Corporate Leaders
- Nearly 120 corporations are part of the United Way Global Corporate Leadership program
- Approximately 60% of GCL companies are on the Global Fortune 500 list—25% are in the top 100. Top 25 include: Walmart; Royal Dutch Shell; Exxon Mobil Corporation; AXA; Chevron Corporation; ING Group; General Electric (GE); Bank of America; AT&T; Ford Motor Company; JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- GCL companies, their employees and retirees annually contribute more than $1 billion to communities in the U.S. through United Way-nearly 20% of the $5.29 billion United Way raises worldwide and more than 25% of the money raised in the U.S.
- GCL companies employ more than 13.7 million people worldwide